I grew up in Texas so I can do this.
- Great Texas Phrases:
- It’s so dry the trees are bribin’ the dogs. (we need rain)
- This ain’t my first rodeo. (been there)
- Big hat, no cattle. (lots of talk, no action)
- Texas Lingo:
- A mess of (large unit of measurement)
- Plumb (totally)
- dawggonnit (exclamation of frustration)
- skeeters ‘n chiggers (critters that annoy the “hale” outta ya)
- fixin’ to (about to)
- A true Texan:
- You’ve had to switch from heat to AC in the same day.
- A traffic jam is 10 cars behind a tractor.
- You carry jumper cables in your car for your own car.
- You know what cow-tippin’ and snipe huntin’ are. And have done them.
- 90 degrees is a little warm.
- Texas has always been known as the number one natural gas producing state. That is really no surprise seeing as the number of Taco Bells we have serving bean burritos.
- In Texas, the wind blows 90 mph October through March. Then it quits.
- Fixinto really is one word.
- Nothing kills Texas mosquitoes or mesquite trees.
Ok, I know this isn’t Texas, but it’s pretty good southern logic:
The Hillbilly’s Ten Commandments (posted on the wall at Cross Trails Church in Gainesboro , TN )
(1) Just one God
(2) Put nothin’ before God
(3) Watch yer mouth
(4) Git yourself to Sunday meetin’
(5) Honor yer Ma & Pa
(6) No killin’
(7) No foolin’ around with another fellow’s gal
(8) Don’t take what ain’t yers
(9) No tellin’ tales or gossipin’
(10) Don’t be hankerin’ for yer buddy’s stuff