Yes, another zucchini recipe! Luckily this one is a main dish. I heard someone mention doing this once, so I thought I’d give it a shot. I didn’t use a recipe, but just threw it together, so the measurements are kind of a guess.
- 1 1/2 lbs low-fat ground turkey or beef
- 32 oz sugar-free pasta sauce
- lg container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 very large zucchini (medium ones), sliced lengthwise, 1/4 in. thick
- 2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp each basil, oregano, and parsley
- salt and pepper
- Brown meat; add garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Add sauce.
- Mix 1 c mozzarella cheese, ricotta, eggs, basil, oregano and parsley.
- Pour enough sauce in a baking dish just to cover bottom. Layer zucchini, cheese, then sauce. Repeat until all used.
- Top with remaining mozz. cheese.
- Bake at 375 F until bubbling and zucchini is soft.
It’s surprisingly good. The only thing I would do differently is broil the zucchini slightly before cooking. Some of the pieces of my zucchini were still a bit more crisp than I would have preferred. I made a HUGE pan becuase I had a ginormous zucchini from the garden, so you may want to buy more zucchini than you think you’d use, just in case. I even had a couple slices leftover; I cubed them and threw them on top.